About Camp Sargent


About Camp Sargent

Located on the beautiful Lake Naticook in Merrimack, NH and minutes from the Merrimack and Nashua Y, Camp Sargent sits on 22 acres. Since 1924, Camp Sargent has offered the Greater Nashua Community a quality day camping program to boys and girls 5-16 years old. Sessions range from one to ten weeks of traditional camp activities to more involved specialty camps that provide more time for campers to dive deeper into what interests them most, Regardless of the type of camp, staff always stress safety, teamwork and work towards each camper building self confidence and making friends.

 

ACA Accredited

Licensing and Accreditation

Camp Sargent is accredited by the American Camp Association (ACA) and is licensed by the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (DES).

 

Our Staff

Our staff is CPR & First Aid certified. All staff members complete a week long orientation which covers various adolescent behavioral issues, small group activities, rainy day activities as well as goals and objectives for camper development. All staff are hired based on prior experience working with school-age children and proven ability to lead a group in a safe and fun environment.
If you have questions about Camp Sargent, feel free to contact camp director, Randy Menken.

 

History

W.R. Gumb (center) Camp Director from 1926-1939

W.R. Gumb (center) Camp Director from 1926-1939

In 1924 the land for Camp Sargent on Naticook Lake was purchased by the Nashua YMCA as an overnight camp for boys in honor of Eaton D. Sargent who was mayor of Nashua and then YMCA board president.

Eaton Dudley Sargent, son of Andrew P. & Mary Julina (Bean) Sargent was born 13 Aug 1870 in Bradford, Orange County, Vermont and d. 27 March 1944 in Crescent City Florida. He married 18 Sep 1901 in Nashua NH to Clara Josephine Marsh Gage, daughter of Daniel & Marietta Lund (Marsh) Gage. She was born in 1870 and d. 1960 [Eaton’s parents were both natives of Candia NH].  Eaton & Clara had 3 children Priscilla G. (who m. Robert Y. Condit), Helen M (who m. Robert W. Fay) and Philip A. (who m. Madeline Moran and had 2 sons, Philip Thomas and Eaton Dudley).

In 1961 Camp Sargent was changed to a day camp for both boys and girls.

Memories of Camp Sargent -as shared by the late Frederic Shaw (Alum and good Friend of Camp Sargent)